Register to Vote

Who can vote in Minnesota?

To vote in Minnesota, you must be:
  • A U.S. Citizen
  • At least 18 years old on Election Day
  • A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
  • Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your voting rights. You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.

Registering to Vote for those who are 17 Years Old:

To pre-register to vote at 17-years-old in Minnesota, you must be at least 18-years-old when the next election occurs (special election, township election, state primary, or state general). 

Because special elections can be called at unexpected times, your application may be returned if an election becomes scheduled in between the date you register and your birthday. If that happens, simply wait until that election passes, and register again. 

How Do I Know If I'm Registered to Vote?

You can check your registration status at your current address via the Secretary of State's website here

How Do I Register?

You can register to vote online in advance of the election via the Secretary of State's website here.  To register online, you'll need your MN Driver's License or Minnesota Identification Card number. If you don't have one of those, you can use the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you don't have either of those, you'll need to use a paper application. Paper applications can be mailed to Carver County or the Secretary of State's Office:

Government Center - Administration Bldg or  Secretary of State
600 E Fourth St 60 Empire Drive Suite 100
Chaska, MN 55318-2102  Saint Paul, MN 55103

You can also register the day of the Election or if you come and vote absentee. If you register when voting in-person absentee, you'll need to fill out a paper application and bring appropriate identification with you. If you wish to vote on the day of the election, you will just need to bring the proper identification with you. Carver County is switching to an electronic registration on election day, so no forms will be necessary. Proper identification includes bringing a proof of residence listed below. You only need to bring identification from one of the seven categories below.

1. ID with Current Name & Address

  • Valid MN Driver's License, Learner's Permit or ID; or a receipt for any of these 
  • Tribal ID with name, address, photo, and signature

2. Photo ID and a Document with Current Name and Address

Approved photo ID's (can be expired):
  • Driver's License, State ID, or Learner's Permit issued by any state
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military or Veteran ID
  • Tribal ID with name, signature, and photo
  • MN University, College, or Technical College ID
  • Minnesota High School ID
Approved Documents (can be shown electronically):
  • Bill, account, or start-of-service statement due or dated within 30-days of the election for: 
    • Phone, TV, or internet
    • Solid waste, sewer, electric, gas, or water
    • Banking or credit card
    • Rent or mortgage
  • Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day
  • Current student fee statement 

3. Registered Voter who can Confirm your Address

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. This is known as vouching. A registered voter can vouch for up to eight voters. You cannot vouch for others if someone has vouched for you. 

4. College Student ID with Housing List

Colleges and universities send election officials a student housing list. If you are on the list, show your college photo ID to complete your registration. 

5. Valid Registration in the Same Precinct

If you are registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the judge your previous name or address.

6. Notice of Late Registration

If you registered to vote within 20 days of the election, you may get a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. Bring it with you and use it as your proof of residence to register. 

7. Staff Person of a Residential Facility

If you live in a residential facility, a staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address. This is known as vouching. A staff person can vouch for all eligible voters living in the facility.

The staff person must provide their proof of employment at the facility. There are several ways to do this, including by showing an employee badge.