Electrical Work & Sump Pumps

Electrical Work
Building permits do not include electrical wiring. A separate Request for Inspection must be filed with the State of Minnesota Board of Electricity at or before commencement of any electrical wiring that is required to be inspected. A property owner who wishes to do his own electrical wiring may obtain a Request for Inspection form or by contacting the State Board of Electricity at:
1821 University Ave.
Suite S-128
St. Paul, MN 55104-2993
Ph: 651-642-0800

Request for Inspection
A Request for Inspection is an affidavit, filed by the owner, that he is physically going to perform all of the electrical work and that the person owns and occupies his residence or owns and will occupy the residence upon completion of construction. An owner may not install electrical wiring on property that is rented, leased, or occupied by others.

Electrical inspections are conducted by Bart Luce, 952-448-2630. Please have your Request for Inspection number ready when calling for an inspection.

Sump Pumps
If you have a sump pump in your basement, please connect it properly to prevent sanitary sewer backups and unnecessary costs associated with the treatment of storm water in the sanitary sewer system. City Code requires hooking up to a drain tile system where available. In all other areas, the sump pump must be hard plumbed and pump water outside to the lawn or street and not into your floor drain, laundry sink or shower stall. Sump pump discharge may not be directed onto a neighboring property. Periodic inspections are performed to ensure compliance with the sump pump ordinance. Illegal connections to the sanitary sewer system are subject to a $75 monthly fine until corrected.