Elections & Voting
Candidate Filing for City Council Office - August 2, 2016 to August 16, 2016Starting August 2, 2016 and running through August 16, 2016, qualified individuals may file for the following City Council seats: Mayor (2 year term), City Council - Ward I (four year term), and City Council - Ward II (four year term). Filing forms are available at City Hall from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from August 2 to August 15, 2016. On August 16, 2016, candidates may file up until 5:00 p.m. at City Hall.
The cost for filing is $5. Eligible candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- be a qualified City Voter*
- 21 years of age
- be a resident of the City for at least 30 days before the election
- be a U.S. Citizen
*An individual who has been convicted of a felony under either state or federal law cannot hold elective office in Minnesota unless the individual's civil rights have been restored.
Local, state, and national elections are held in even-numbered years. On election day, all polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The City of Waconia is divided into 2 wards, please view the polling places listed below. If you are unsure of the ward in which you reside, please consult the City of Waconia Ward Boundary Map or visit the Secretary of State’s website.
- Waconia Ward I
Waconia Ice Arena
1250 Oak Ave.
- Waconia Ward II
Trinity Lutheran School Gymnasium
601 E. 2nd St.
Residents of the City of Waconia reside within the following government jurisdictions:
- Carver County Commissioner District 4
- Independent School District 110
- Judicial District 1
- Minnesota House District 47A
- Minnesota Senate District 47
- U.S. Congressional District 6
If you will be unable to cast a vote at your polling location on the Primary or General Election day you can submit an absentee ballot. To obtain an absentee ballot by mail or to cast an absentee ballot in person please contact Carver County Taxpayers Services Department at 952-361-1910.
To vote in any election in Minnesota, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- A resident of Minnesota for at least 20 days
- At least 18 years of age on election day
- Properly registered
- A convicted felon without your civil rights
- Not legally competent
- Under guardianship of the person where you have not retained the right to vote
Pre-registration, for those who are not currently registered, closes 21 days prior to any election. You can pre-register by completing a voter registration card at:
- Carver County Auditor’s Office
- City Hall
- Obtain an application from the Secretary of State’s website
Registering at the Polls
Eligible voters may register at the polls on Election Day with one of the following authorized documents:
- "Notice of Late Registration" postcard
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, identification card, or receipt for one showing your current address
- Current Student Fee Statement
- If the Minnesota license, Tribal ID, or MN State ID has a former address, you will need to bring a recent utility bill* to use with your license
- Oath of a registered voter in the same ward ("vouching")
- Prior registration listed on roster at former address within the same ward
- Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
- U.S. military photo ID card with utility bill*
- U.S. passport with utility bill*